The objective of this course is to equip interviewers who want to learn how to develop complex interview strategies.
Participants have the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to apply the S-BAT tools in the creation of these complex interview strategies. This course will teach a structured methodology to topic development and is not for those who prefer a more spontaneous or impromptu approach to interviewing.
This course is designed for those who have undertaken the Specialist Interview Course, the Mentor Interview Technique or Interviewing Sex Offenders: an Introduction to Behaviour Analysis and the Sullivan Behaviour Analysis Tools (S-BAT)*.
Content will include:
- Review of S-BAT templates
- Hypothesis development
- Creating complex interview strategies
- Incremental questions
- Question construction
- Application of the approach to participant’s own case studies
- To attend this course, you must have completed the Specialist Interview Course, the Mentor Interview Technique or Interviewing Sex Offenders: an Introduction to Behaviour Analysis and the Sullivan Behaviour Analysis Tools (S-BAT)*.
- Successful completion of the course will require your engagement in all aspects of the course work and full attendance at all parts of this training event. Certificates will not be available for anyone who does not complete the course in full.
* There will be no exceptions to this requirement as the course places are limited and apart from depriving a suitable candidate of a place people who have not attended the required courses will not understand the content of this course.
- You will need to prepare a case study in advance of the training event. This can be a case you have already completed or ideally one which you will interview the subject in the near future.
- Attached to this information are a case summary sheet and S-BAT worksheets which you will need to complete.
- You will be required to present these to a small group of participants on the training event.
- Please anonymise the case study, replacing names, locations and all identifying features of the case.
- Your objective with this case study will be to use the techniques taught on the course to create a complex interview strategy.
This course builds upon core knowledge and skills gained from the Specialist Interview Course and provides in-depth information on the techniques to successfully interview or meet with sex offenders. The content is beneficial to those engaged in risk assessments, intervention programmes, investigation and/or risk management. By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the prevalence of child sexual abuse and the degree to which criminal records reflect a perpetrators pattern of sexual offending
- Recognise the myths and facts about child sexual abuse
- Comprehend the role which behaviour analysis can play in facilitating a better understanding of offender behaviour
- Identify common characteristics of offending behaviour
- Plan for more effective offender interviews & meetings
- Use behavioural analysis tools to create accurate risk assessments
- Understand how offender motivations and justifications create a ‘spiral of abuse’
- Better decide what are the important questions to ask each offender
- Recognise grooming & manipulation more readily
- Understand the key features and issues related to women who sexually offend
- Distinguish the importance of identifying those offenders who travel to facilitate the sexual exploitation of children
- Identify the prevalence and key features of offenders who engage in group based child sexual exploitation
- Comprehend the risk factors related to sex offenders who view/download indecent images of children.
- Use advanced techniques and practical skills to encourage engagement in interview
- Apply theoretical techniques to plan effective interviews
- Better analyse sexual offending against children
- Profile a subject
- Understand and apply the Sullivan Behaviour Analysis Tool (S-BAT)
- Utilise the Projected Personalities Matrix (PPM)
- Design a layered interview approach
Date: 22nd – 24th January 2019 (three-day course)
Location: Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland
*Limited spaces available
Reviews of this Course
Very detailed insight on how to plan an interview. I loved it. Excellent presentation!
Dr. Sullivan’s training has fundamentally changed the way I conduct interviews. It is the best training that I have received in understanding sex offenders. I am looking forward to additional training opportunities in the future.
Dr Sullivan continues to exceed my expectations as a trainer. His S-BAT tools are second to none for profiling/ predicting behaviour of sex offenders.
I will be promoting this course to fellow colleagues for years to come. Still hoping for the “Advanced” Advanced Course!
Highly knowledgeable instructor, able to present complex material in an understandable manner.
One of the most useful trainings I have had in my 21 year career. Using the techniques has yielded better case work and identified offenders and victims that may have previously been missed.
Excellent, really helped me consider how to word or structure a question to achieve results.
Excellent application and extension of previous tools.
It pulled everything together that I learned from the Specialist Interview course.